The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To: Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com>
Cc: Tuhs <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Package Management
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 18:39:08 -0700	[thread overview]

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020, 6:19 PM Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com> wrote:

> 1) No intention to slight debian in any way.
> 2) dpkg was definitely an improvement over FreeBSds ports scheme. But...
> In fact freebsd did have a pkg system for ports before that --- which was
> basically similar to 1983 SysIII scheme

FreeBSD's ports/pkg system did keep track of what was installed on the
system. There was a database in /var/db so pkg_delete could remove things
and pkg_which to know what pkg a given file belonged to.

It was first-ish, but there was some package system for the early linux
root disks. I think this is how SLS started, but I might be misremembering.
But despite being early, and being ported to other BSDs, it sucked at
upgrading for 20-odd years until it was completely rewritten.... latter day
pkg is so much better, though its repo management has been a little weak
relative to the professional efforts in the linux world.

/usr/ports none the less was ground breaking because it handled both the
local patching, the build depends and the packaging under one umbrella.
It's been on the whole a good thing and has reinvented itself several times
over the years.

When I was managing SunOS systems it seemed like everyone rolled their own.
There was nothing like VMSINSTALL...

Warner

3) also as I understand (and larry feel free to correct me here as a better