On Mon, Jul 5, 2021, 10:37 PM Dan Stromberg wrote: > > On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 2:29 PM Clem Cole wrote: > >> >> On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 4:16 PM Dan Stromberg wrote: >> >>> A null-terminated array of char is a petri dish. A proper string type >>> is more like a disinfectant. >>> >> Hrrmpt.... maybe (in theory), but I can say that never seen it really >> work in practice -- bwk in Why Pascal is Not My Favorite Programming >> Language describes much >> of the practical realities of this sort of choice: >> > > I think language designers since Pascal have learned from Pascal's mistake > there. > > Supposedly even Borland's TurboPascal had better strings than vanilla > Pascal. > That's true. You could do things in Turbo Pascal you couldn't do in standard Pascals. It was close enough to C that a lot of system level code was written in it. A bit verbose, but serviceable. Warner >