On Fri, Jun 3, 2022 at 4:40 PM Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote: > Warner Losh writes: > > > The FreeBSD 1.x CVS tree shows that it started from NET/2 with the > > patchkit added on. It didn't start from the NetBSD tree that I've been > > able to find (and I've studied the early CVS history for the git > > migration extensively). > > Yeah, I guess it might be better to say that after Chris took the > initiative to create a fork, which he named NetBSD, of Jolitz's 386bsd, > it was decided that there would be two forks; NetBSD and FreeBSD, with > slightly differing objectives. > Yea, there were a number of folks that contributed to the patchkit as well. Chris did a good thing to try to bring order to that chaos, there is no doubt, but Nate Williams, Paul Richards and others were big contributors to the patchkit and the lines of what happened where were somewhat blurry at the time as people discovered they were working at cross purposes and/or had issues working with some people.... Thankfully, for the most part the high levels of animosity that developed in the early 90s between the BSD projects have largely faded away as new groups of developers have joined the projects... Warner