The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Xenix-11 Images
@ 2020-04-05  0:53 Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2020-04-05  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Crazy longshot post, part 27 in an infinite series

Are there any Xenix-11 images (boot tapes or disk images) around? My
googling skillz aren't mad enough to find this.

I've seen the Xenix 86 image in the archive that was copied from pce's
image warehouse which is cool and the generation of code I'm looking for,
but is for 8086 machines...

Warner

* Re: [TUHS] Xenix-11 Images
@ 2020-04-05  2:19 ` Nigel Williams
From: Nigel Williams @ 2020-04-05  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 10:55 AM Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
> Crazy longshot post, part 27 in an infinite series

Xenix-11 would be good to track down, for those that need a reminder
here is an advert for it:

http://bitsavers.org/pdf/apple/lisa/xenix/brochures/PDP-11_Xenix_Brochure_Aug84.jpg

relevant text from advert:

"XENIS SYSTEM FOR THE PDP-11 AND LSI-11 FAMILIES"
"COMPLETE OPERATING SYSTEM PACKAGES LICENSED UNDER AT&T'S UNIX SYSTEM III"

"Our XENIX system is real UNIX with such commercial enhancements as
file and record locking, greater reliability, and improved system
administration facilities. A unique memory overlay method enables
complete UNIX performance on the LSI-11/23. The new LSI-11/73
processor is also fully supported. (For VAX users, 4.2 bsd virtual
memory UNIX is available.)"

and

"The Santa Cruz Operation has XENIX available on many popular personal
computers including the IBM Personal Computer, the Apple Lisa and the
DEC Professional 350."

SCO Xenix System V 2.1.3 exists for IBM PC (5160)
SCO Xenix 3.0 Rel 1.0 exists for Apple Lisa

Someone in the DEC Pro 350/380 collector community may have a copy of XENIX.

* Re: [TUHS] Xenix-11 Images
@ 2020-04-05  5:13   ` Nigel Williams
From: Nigel Williams @ 2020-04-05  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

LCM this weekend had a demo of their "Miss Piggy" 11/70 running Unix
v7 (apparently Microsoft's original development machine?) and it
occurred to me to have a quick look at the LCM archive and found this:

https://opac.libraryworld.com/opac/catalog_edit.php?catalog_id=671443&from_doc=standard.php&position=68

[XENIX] Tests basic.pdp 11 util / February 14, 1982.
1 9 track tape with handwritten label.

I wonder what that is? If anyone is going to have XENIX material I
would expect LCM to be a potential source for it.

* Re: [TUHS] Xenix-11 Images
@ 2020-04-05  5:38     ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2020-04-05  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nigel Williams; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society