On Sat, Dec 29, 2018, 11:27 AM Clem Cole > > On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 11:59 PM Warren Toomey wrote: > >> Yes, order will be important, I forgot. There's no ranlib in v6 :-) >> > > Good point. I've forgotten as to where and when did ranlib appear in > the dev stream? Was it research, UCB or somewhere else like on the > Harvard Tape? > > Just now, I took a quick peak at the 1BSD archive on TUHS.org but the > subdirtectories are all packed up as v6 ar archives (cont.a files) - > *i.e.* when somebody converted the BSD stp tape to a tar image they just > wrote the archive and then rewrote it as a compressed tar ball. So I will > take a little more work to unpack them, ensure the dates are 1978 based. > (which I'll do at some point and offer them back to Warren). > > But I do remember when ranlib showing up it was such a win for fixing C > compiler (well linkage) errors. I could have sworn, we had it was before > V7, so maybe it came with the Typesetter C or UNIX/TS stuff. > But wasn't it tsort that did the heavy lifting to get things in order? ar c foo.a `tsort *.o` Ranlib just made it fast by adding an index.. Warner > ᐧ >