On Sun, Oct 24, 2021 at 12:41 PM Ron Natalie wrote: > There were definitely as many PDP-11's (most running UNIX) as there were > DEC 10s in the glory days of the Arpanet. VAXes only rolled out toward > the end of the NCP era. > > However, the last NCP host table shows this statistic for DEC machines on > the NCP Arpanet > > VAX (UNIX): 58 > PDP11(UNIX): 59 > So as of 1980-12-31, you had 7th Edition and 32V in the wild. 3BSD was late 1979 or early 1980. 4BSD was late 1980. The Columbus Unix was also running on VAXen, but I don't have great dates for that and most (all?) of those machines were confined to internal AT&T. I recall reading, but don't recall where I read it, that the Urbana networking was ported to 7th Edition. I tried to find such source, but couldn't 18 months ago. 32V is basically the same as 7th Edition, so would make a good candidate for such a port, though 3BSD isn't so radically different, except in buffer mapping, that it couldn't run there w/o much effort. The VAX never had a V6 port that I've read about anywhere, though I'll defer to others with better sources. I'd bet some $$$ that BBN did the port, but I have no good source for that either. Warner