The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] 1: jmp 1b
@ 2019-10-20  0:36 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2019-10-20  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

where did the relative labels come from? I still show them to people
when we're doing assembly and still use them all the time. Most people
have not seen them and find them wonderfully convenient. I know they
were in as by the time I came along in 1976; when did they first show
up?

* Re: [TUHS] 1: jmp 1b
@ 2019-10-20 13:38 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2019-10-20 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

In `UNIX Assembler Reference Manual,' Dennis credits Knuth
for numeric temporary labels, with a reference to volume 1
of The Art of Computer Programming.

I'm several thousand kilometers from my copy of Knuth (though
rather nearer to Knuth himself, albeit not within asking
range), so I'll leave it to others to track down the exact
reference.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON
(temporarily Sacramento CA)