On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 1:54 AM Paul Ruizendaal via TUHS < tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org> wrote: > It seems like Venix/86 came out in Spring 1983 and PC/IX in Spring 1984. I > guess by then RAM had become cheap enough that running in 64KB of core was > no longer a requirement and LSX and MX did not make sense anymore. Does > that sound right? > Venix/86 2.0 (still 7th edition) requires 192k to run, at least on my Rainbow, and get to login:. 128k and 64k simply are too small configurations to run it. There's not a lot of 'fat' in the Venix kernel and more-modern compilers only are able to make modest gains over the primitive pcc used at the time. The raw kernel for pc/ix is a few k larger than the venix kernel. So I'm guessing that's right. Warner