On Thu, Aug 8, 2019, 7:47 PM Grant Taylor via TUHS wrote: > On 8/7/19 7:04 AM, Clem Cole wrote: > > FWIW: V7 had /stand which was a funky UNIX-like standalone system that > > some applications could be compiled. > > I've seen /stand on a few systems (I think SCO OpenServer and / or > UnixWare) but never really knew what it was for. I think I had naively > assumed it was associated with the kernel and / or booting. > > Now I'm somewhat more curious what it was. Was it a simplified version > of the OS with minimal utilities with fewer dependencies so that the > system could boot and load more features. > Yes. There was a library that implemented much of the unix API in a simplified way that ran on bare metal. I thought that Linux's initramfs / initrd had the usual suspect files / > utilities copied from /. So the idea that a utility in /stand would be > different from the same utility in / seems strange to me. > They are because there was no kernel for them to run under. They were similar, but if you go look at the sources, they are different. > The problem was that it was a little different so you would end up > > seeing #ifdef STAND in code for things like fsck, fsdb, even cat. > > At Masscomp we ended up with three target environments for a couple of > > the system maintenance utilities: the OS, /stand and the boot ROMS. > > This was expensive/a PITA to maintain and keep straight, and in the > > case of the boot ROM, space was a huge problem. > > Ya. I can see how that would be a PITA to maintain. > FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD all implement some version of this. FreeBSD has it in src/stand in honor of V7 stand. I did that when I integrate / rewrote the GSoC project to bring Lua scripting to the boot loader. The other BSDs have it split between sys/boot and lib/libs. FreeBSD uses it to implement the rich boot loader which knows how to load off a lot of different file systems and BIOS interfaces. Net/OpenBSD use it more modestly in their boot loaders, but have a few standalone programs for things like bootstrapping VAXen. Warner > The RAMFS idea was created to get rid of at least /stand and IIRC we > > were able to drop a number of utilities out of the boot ROM. I'm not > > sure how far they took it. I left for Stellar and it was always the > > way Stellix booted. > > ACK > > > > -- > Grant. . . . > unix || die > >