Oh also sometimes for breaking out of multiple levels of while/for loops. The alternatives are often worse. Warner On Thu, Mar 9, 2023, 4:31 PM Luther Johnson wrote: > I agree, unless I use setjmp/longjmp for that. Besides error recovery, > there are occasionally other times when we want to locally "return" to a > common state and start "from the top" again. I find such uses very clear in > their intent, and if commented well, not hard to follow at all - as long as > there is not more than one "top" :) > On 03/09/2023 04:21 PM, Warner Losh wrote: > > > > On Thu, Mar 9, 2023, 4:18 PM segaloco via TUHS wrote: > >> GOTO is one of those paradoxical things where I would only trust the most >> sophisticated engineer to know when it's acceptable to use a GOTO but on >> the flip side would be suspicious of anyone claiming to be an engineer that >> uses any amount of GOTOs... >> >> Were any of the various GOTOs in languages ever meant to be any more than >> providing the same level of control that branch statements in assembly do? >> Was there ever some vision anyone's aware of concerning a sophisticated, >> dependable use of GOTOs? Since my first days poking around learning C GOTO >> has been mentally filed away as an assembly vestige for folks in >> transition, not a dependable construct in its own right. Any alternative >> camps out there? >> > > > In C I use it all the time to do goto err for common error recovery > because C doesn't have anything better. > > Warner > >> - Matt G. >> >> ------- Original Message ------- >> On Thursday, March 9th, 2023 at 3:01 PM, Steffen Nurpmeso < >> steffen@sdaoden.eu> wrote: >> >> >> > I wonder if Pink Floyd's Summer68 maybe refers to this. >> > Other than that i am addicted and could not live without it. >> > The other (terrible) song is from 1984 (east southern US). >> > >> > --steffen >> > | >> > |Der Kragenbaer, The moon bear, >> > |der holt sich munter he cheerfully and one by one >> > |einen nach dem anderen runter wa.ks himself off >> > |(By Robert Gernhardt) >> > >