On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 8:47 AM Clem Cole wrote: > 2BSD was the BSD for V7. It was >>not<< a 'distro' as 3.0 and later > 2.XBSD became. It is just a set of programs and kernel patches that were > built up at UCB. This was the way different sites released things in those > days. The "read me" files should tell you what is there and you pick the > binaries (if you have them) and install them as is and/or recompile from > the makefiles on a case by case basis. > 2.8BSD is the first one I've seen with a bootable tape (though i've not booted it). The other caveat with BSD software was it may have made assumptions about being on a Berkeley unix system by default and may need some help. Though having said that, I'd give it a try... Warner > Clem > > On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 10:35 AM Will Senn wrote: > >> On another front. I know I've asked this before in v6, and possibly >> related to v7, but I can't find the notes anywhere. vi doesn't come with >> v7. So, has anybody put it on v7 in simh? I saw a thread sometime back >> where vi on v7 wasn't the main topic, where Warren? I think it was, said >> he'd done it and it was "easy." I don't suppose there are any notes laying >> around telling how this might be accomplished? >> >> I do see vi in 2bsd.tar, I don't suppose there is a 'how to install 2bsd >> on v7" note around either? >> >> Thanks, >> >> Will >> >> -- >> GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462 7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF >> >>