The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] The first PDP-7 running Unix
@ 2019-07-10  4:03 Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2019-07-10  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

In honor of the Unix 50 party tomorrow, I wrote an analysis of the
available data to conclude the first PDP-7 that Ken and Dennis used to
bring up Unix on was serial number 34. I've not seen this result elsewhere,
but if it's common place, please let me know.

https://bsdimp.blogspot.com/2019/07/the-pdp-7-where-unix-began.html

One surprise from the analysis: there was only one pdp-7 in the world that
could have run the original v0 unix. It's the only one that had the RB09
hard drive (though the asset list referenced in the article listed a RC09
on that system).

I hope you enjoy

Warner

* Re: [TUHS] The first PDP-7 running Unix
@ 2019-07-10  5:14 ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2019-07-10  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Warner Losh wrote:
> I hope you enjoy

I enjoyed it very much.  Thanks!

* Re: [TUHS] The first PDP-7 running Unix
@ 2019-07-10  5:34   ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2019-07-10  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

I see PDP-7 #34 also had these options:

340 Precision incremental CRT display
342 Symbol generator for 340 display, first 64 characters
370 High speed light pen

Was this the display used for Space Travel?

These hardware devices are all supported by Phil Budne's 340 simulation
in SIMH, so if the software was to be found it could probably be run.

* Re: [TUHS] The first PDP-7 running Unix
@ 2019-07-10  6:05     ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2019-07-10  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Brinkhoff; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Tue, Jul 9, 2019, 11:34 PM Lars Brinkhoff <lars@nocrew.org> wrote:

> I see PDP-7 #34 also had these options:
>
> 340 Precision incremental CRT display
> 342 Symbol generator for 340 display, first 64 characters
> 370 High speed light pen
>
> Was this the display used for Space Travel?

That's my belief given how the story was told in the history. But the
histories I've read weren't specific as to whether the stock display was
used or the custom one was.

These hardware devices are all supported by Phil Budne's 340 simulation
> in SIMH, so if the software was to be found it could probably be run.

That's true. The simh machine emulates both, so it wouldn't matter. And
we'd be able to know which one was used... I've not seen the code for this,
though...

@ 2019-07-11  9:00 ` Thomas Paulsen
From: Thomas Paulsen @ 2019-07-11  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh, tuhs; +Cc: tuhs