The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Status of Space Travel
@ 2020-05-19  5:28 Warner Losh
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Warner Losh @ 2020-05-19  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

What's the current state of efforts to get space travel working again?

Warner

* Re: [TUHS] Status of Space Travel
@ 2020-05-19  5:56 ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2020-05-19  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Warner Losh wrote:
> What's the current state of efforts to get space travel working again?

Somewhat stalled.

I wrote an emulator for the Graphic II and it seems to work with the
pool game and tic-tac-toe.  Space Travel has some problem running and
will not display anything.

* Re: [TUHS] Status of Space Travel
@ 2020-05-19  5:57 ` Sebastian Rasmussen
From: Sebastian Rasmussen @ 2020-05-19  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

> What's the current state of efforts to get space travel working again?

The assembler source listing has been transcribed two times to weed out any
transcription errors. The same goes for the accompanying floating point library.
It currently starts and draws a screen for a brief second in the emulator before
crashing back to the prompt, so something is amiss.

 / Sebastian

* Re: [TUHS] Status of Space Travel
@ 2020-05-19  6:34   ` Sebastian Rasmussen
From: Sebastian Rasmussen @ 2020-05-19  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

> It currently starts and draws a screen for a brief second in the emulator before
> crashing back to the prompt, so something is amiss.

This is is a screenshot of what I see on the emulated GRAPHIC-II screen
for a brief second. It is slightly dark due to the emulated phosphor decay:
http://sebras.se/space-travel.png

  / Sebastian

* Re: [TUHS] Status of Space Travel
@ 2020-05-19 13:12 ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2020-05-19 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Mon, 18 May 2020, Warner Losh wrote:

> What's the current state of efforts to get space travel working again?

Does Lunar Lander on ye olde GT-40 count?  I've since lost the source, but
I'm hoping that Andrew Hume still has it somewhere.

-- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] Status of Space Travel
@ 2020-05-19 13:58   ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2020-05-19 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Dave Horsfall wrote:
>> What's the current state of efforts to get space travel working again?
> Does Lunar Lander on ye olde GT-40 count?  I've since lost the source,
> but I'm hoping that Andrew Hume still has it somewhere.

In the context of reviving Space Travel, I don't think it counts.

Source code here:
http://www.brouhaha.com/~eric/retrocomputing/dec/gt40/software/moonlander/gtlem.mac

* Re: [TUHS] Status of Space Travel
@ 2020-05-19 13:59   ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2020-05-19 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 9:13 AM Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 May 2020, Warner Losh wrote:
>
> > What's the current state of efforts to get space travel working again?
>
> Does Lunar Lander on ye olde GT-40 count?  I've since lost the source, but
> I'm hoping that Andrew Hume still has it somewhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Lander_(video_game_genre)

Please send me email offline if you want the sources from Jack.  BTW:  his
16-bit integer trig routines are still a tour-de-force of integer
operations.   Looking at the assembler sources to Moonlander just to learn
how he did that is.  Jack said he spent a day in the MIT library working it
all out, went home that night, and coded it all up.

FYI: I'm also still in almost daily contact with Jack who still hacking on
graphics systems (and his joke mailing list is a who-who of the industry).
[I've tried for years to get him to join this list, but I have never been
successful.]

* Re: [TUHS] Status of Space Travel
@ 2020-10-05  9:23     ` Sebastian Rasmussen
From: Sebastian Rasmussen @ 2020-10-05  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)