On Sun, Jul 24, 2022 at 2:33 PM segaloco wrote: > All this discussion is making me incredibly glad I posed the question, as > it does indeed seem that before num and nl, line numbering was more of a > "to each their own" rather than there being a canonical best practice. > > By the way, what inspired the whole quandary in the first place was doing > some editing on a V6 UNIX system and realizing I hadn't the foggiest idea > of how to get the system to spit back line numbers to remind myself what > addresses to supply to various ed commands. I suppose at the time using a > context search was such an effective means of getting ed's cursor where you > wanted it that having a means to number lines wasn't crucial to effectively > working in ed, so long as one was good with their regex and searching. > > I'm realizing I might need to reach out to the maintainer of the nl > manpage in FreeBSD (and perhaps other OSs and distros) as the history > section of the page posits that nl was first introduced in SVR2, when in > reality the earliest public offering was System III, although the trail > goes cold at that point, I can only assume it came from USG. > I can update it. Done. https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/commit/?id=8a02ea1dbc139862456f488464072719341658d7 Warner