On Thu, Mar 9, 2023, 5:23 PM ron minnich wrote: > Ca. 1981, if memory serves, having even small numbers of TCP connections > was not common. > > I was told at some point that Sun used UDP for NFS for that reason. It was > a reasonably big deal when we started to move to TCP for NFS ca 1990 (my > memory of the date -- I know I did it on my own for SunOS as an experiment > when I worked at the SRC -- it seemed to come into general use about that > time). > > What kind of numbers for TCP connections would be reasonable in 1980, 90, > 2000, 2010? > Normal systems: 10s, 100s, 1000s, 10ks. Depends on what is a reasonable system... With the high end 10x or 100x that or a bit more. These days we do 100ks of video streams at work on our high end boxes... Warner I sort of think I know, but I sort of think I'm probably wrong. >