The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] Poll: good location for Unix documentation?
@ 2019-09-29 21:54 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2019-09-29 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: "Brian L. Stuart"

    > (The tmg doc was one I remember not being there.)

Err, TMG(VI) is 1/2 page long. Is that really what you were looking for?
(I _did_ specify the 'UPM'.)

I do happen to have the V6-era TMG _manual_, if that's what you're looking
for.

   Noel

* Re: [TUHS] Poll: good location for Unix documentation?
@ 2019-09-30 21:41 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2019-09-30 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Warner Losh

    > https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/Research/1972_stuff/tmg.pdf
    > has an earlier version.

That's the exact same as the one I have.

    > From: "Brian L. Stuart"

    > The M6 manual is another one that I didn't find.

Got that too (it's by Andrew Hall).

    Noel

* Re: [TUHS] Poll: good location for Unix documentation?
@ 2019-09-29 18:53 Noel Chiappa
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2019-09-29 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Warren Toomey

    > All, I'm just musing where is the best place to store Unix
    > documentation. My Unix Archive is really just a filesystem, so it's not
    > so good to capture and search metadata.
    > Is anybody using archive.org, gunkies or something else

BitSavers seems to be the canonical location for old computer documentation.

The CHWiki (gunkies.org) isn't really the best place to put original documentation,
but that's where I'd recommend putting meta-data. As for searching meta-data, are
you speaking of something more powerful than Google?

    Noel

PS: Speaking of old Unix documentation, I recently acquired a paper copy of the
PDP-11 V6 Unix manual. Is that something I should scan? I don't know if you
already have it (I know where to find sources in the archives, but I don't
know where documentation scans live.)

* [TUHS] Poll: good location for Unix documentation?
@ 2019-09-28  2:02 Warren Toomey
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Warren Toomey @ 2019-09-28  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

All, I'm just musing where is the best place to store Unix documentation.
My Unix Archive is really just a filesystem, so it's not so good to
capture and search metadata.

Is anybody using archive.org, gunkies or something else, and have
recommendations?

Cheers, Warren