On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 2:22 PM Larry McVoy wrote: > On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 02:04:10PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote: > > On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 1:41 PM Noel Chiappa > > wrote: > > > > > > and finding a proper distribution tape to officially release. > > > > > > Why do we need that? Can't they say 'any and all versions of SunOS', > and > > > that > > > term ('SunOS') is sufficiently well defined in real-world documents > (e.g. > > > Sun > > > licenses) that that should be 'good enough'. > > > > > > It sounds like the _actual code_ is reasonably available, we wouldn't > need > > > Oracle to go looking around for it, would we? > > > > > > > The trouble, as I was given to understand when I worked at Solbourne, was > > that SunOS wasn't just AT&T + BSD 4.2 + 4.3 + awesome hacking at SMI. > > There were a number of third party bits and pieces in there that could > not > > be relicensed, even 28 years ago when things were fresh. > > So I've been down this path, it was STREAMS and RFS, and maybe a couple > of drivers. I pulled all that crud out, put back the BSD tty code, > and I had a SunOS we could have given away. Why would STREAMS and RFS be a problem post OpenSolaris? > It was back when I was > writing this: > > http://mcvoy.com/lm/bitmover/lm/papers/freeos.pdf > > and I needed to be able to show that what I was asking for was possible. > > > A quick grep of something that fell off an http server suggests that the > > number of these is quite limited. However, the files they are on have no > > other license, even though latter-day versions are available of hack, > hunt, > > indent and pax are available (though to be fair, the latter two do give > > permission explicitly, and a good case can be made for hunt). > > So you are including userland. I'm not sure you need to. Yeah, there was > some unicode work done there but quite frankly, I'd just have > > /usr/gnu/bin > /usr/bsd/bin > /usr/sun/bin > > and dump anything questionable in sun/bin. It's the kernel that was the > most interesting, next would be the run time loader and shared libraries. > /usr/bin wasn't that exciting, the BSD purists might want that but I gotta > believe that BSD has caught up to Sun in 25 years (right???). > grep -r was easy :). Warner