void functions certainly were much more widely used before void *, but void * worked on all the compilers I ever used. I'm a relative newcomer, though, since the first C compiler I used was on a VAX running 4.2BSD... Warner On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 6:20 AM, Ron Natalie wrote: > Yes. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I recall functions returning void came > before void*. > > Sent from my iPhone > > > On Nov 5, 2017, at 5:06 AM, arnold at skeeve.com wrote: > > > > Paul Ruizendaal wrote: > > > >> I’m trying to understand the origins of void pointers in C. I think > >> they first appeared formally in the C89 spec, but may have existed in > >> earlier compilers. > > > > void was added after the publication of the first edition of K&R, in > > the V7 time frame. The 4.x compilers had support for void pointers and > > functions returning void. Also added around the same time was structure > > assignment and the ability to pass and return structs by value (although > > this was little used). > > > >> In the 4BSD era there was caddr_t, which I think was used for pretty > >> much the same purposes. > > > > Only for kernel code. I am pretty sure caddr_t wasn't used in user-land > code. > > > > HTH, > > > > Arnold > > -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: