On Wed, Aug 28, 2019, 12:27 PM Warner Losh wrote: > > > On Wed, Aug 28, 2019, 11:57 AM Doug McIlroy wrote: > >> >> > How long was research running on a PDP-11 and when did they move to a >> VAX? >> >> London and Reiser had ported Unix to the VAX, replete with virtual >> memory, in 1978. By the time v7 was released (1979), Vaxen had become the >> workhorse machines in Research. >> > > > Is there a paper on this work? > Found the 32V paper, but this was still a swapping implementation if I'm reading correctly. I thought that the virtual memory was added by BSD / Bill Joy. That would explain why V8 was BSD 4.1 based, since it was the first usable Vax port with VM. Warner >