The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] 2.11BSD Update
@ 2020-07-14 22:53 Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2020-07-14 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

I've managed to reach an important milestone in my efforts to recreate
2.11BSD pl 0 from sources. I've managed to unwind the patches, recreated
some programs that were lost (the patches destroyed data and weren't modern
context diffs).

So I've managed to unwind back to pl 0, I've managed to bootstrap the
assembler (it wouldn't build on pl 195), recreate ld, ranlib and ar. I've
rebuilt the libraries and many binaries.

https://bsdimp.blogspot.com/2020/07/211bsd-original-tapes-recreation.html

No tapes yet, but I thought people here would like to know.

Warner

* Re: [TUHS] 2.11BSD Update
@ 2020-07-15  6:36 ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2020-07-15  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Warner Losh wrote:
> I've managed to reach an important milestone in my efforts to recreate
> 2.11BSD pl 0 from sources. I've managed to unwind the patches,
> recreated some programs that were lost (the patches destroyed data and
> weren't modern context diffs).

Having done some similar things, I really appreciate the effort that
went into this.  Congratulations!

* Re: [TUHS] 2.11BSD Update
@ 2020-07-15 18:37 ` Jacob Goense
From: Jacob Goense @ 2020-07-15 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 2020-07-15 00:53, Warner Losh wrote:
> No tapes yet, but I thought people here would like to know.

 From back when digging into this I vaguely recall there was
corruption in the pl 0 tapes. Maybe you are on the brink of
finding out why there are no pl 0 tapes ;)

/Jacob

* Re: [TUHS] 2.11BSD Update
@ 2020-07-16  0:35   ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2020-07-16  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)