On Sat, Apr 4, 2020, 9:19 AM markus schnalke wrote: > Hoi, > > found on Wikipedia: > > As well as the Bourne shell, he wrote the adb debugger > and The UNIX System, the second book on the UNIX system, > intended for a general readership. > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_R._Bourne > > Thus I now wonder what the first book on Unix, intended for a > general readership was. > > Bourne's book was published 1983. > > (``The UNIX Programming Environment'' was published 1984.) > > > Was it Banahan and Rutter's ``UNIX -- the Book''? It says 1982. > > Could anyone share some background on that one? (The authors were > from Bradford University.) > > I only have the German translation by Axel T. Schreiner, dated > 1984. Haven't read the English original, but Schreiner's version > definitely is worth to read (if you speak German). He added lots > of footnotes, and it becomes apparent that he knows the system > better than the authors. ;-) > > > I'd like to get an understanding of the books in relation to each > other. How does the Banahan/Rutter book fit into the picture? Why > didn't Bell Labs write a user's book earlier? Were Bourne's and > Kernighan/Pike's books reactions to it? > All good questions. I just bought both of these 9n ebay (there are several copies available for <$10 so I didn't feel bad about sniping a rarity from others in this group). But I don't know the back stories. Warner > meillo >