The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] I made a tar tape
@ 2020-03-20 20:13 Ed Bradford
From: Ed Bradford @ 2020-03-20 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

When I left BTL in 1983, I made a tar tape. A number of years later I
translated the tape into a file. Only recently have I wandered through it.

I don't know how many people remember Ron Hardin in the Columbus BTL
location. He was one of the smartest guys I ever met. There are lot of Ron
Hardin stories. One of his creations (as far as I know he authored it) was
a program to create Memorandums For File -- technical memorandums. My tar
tape scooped up festoon. To this day it compiles and runs happily on
Windows 10. It was written in 1978 or thereabouts. Here is an example
output:

bin$ festoon.exe
.TL
No Worthynesses
.AU "C. C. Festoon" CCF Headquarters 1584734291
.AS
A restriction had been being amicated by a convenience at the inclusion.
.AE
.MT "MEMORANDUM FOR COAT LOCKER"
.hy 1
On this occasion,
no team responsibilities could have polyesced a renewed emphasis.
A friction had penated an activation.
At the present moment in time,
an undue number of good progresses being collected together with the
populations were being proportionately fideated by
the fact that there was a data stream which was transenniesced by an
issuance being joined together with these team re
sponsibilities,
because natural basises have been veriating a partitioning.
The supplementary work should be conclusively quinquepolyated by a well
defined interfacing.
A sophisticatedness by a schedule is operated by a nature in conflict with
a correspondence under some serious discussi
ons.
It is within the realm of possibility that the effectiveness had
vicfacesced a schedule,
but there was not a necessary background information which is being
testesced by a strong interest,
and a statistical accuracy was tempoesced by the preparation.
It should be noted that a joint partnership very repeatedly aidioated this
publication of a centralized organization.
Due to the fact that there is a simplification which simply enniesced a
process,
a new technology is fluxesced from monorogatities.
It is of the utmost importance that an insurance could be putated by an
assumption.
A major advance centered about a deficiency octocessates an important
outcome.
.P
An effectation would extramicroate to the situation.
A complete revision gravated a direction.
Inasmuch as there was not a potential usefulness that cedeates by the
timely delivery,
a consideration centered around a technique was monofortated by an
integration:
.BL
.LI
There is a not unclear meterdom which had risiesced an occasion.
.LE
.P
A clamstress of this enclosedness is cludescing the hemidormity.
.P
To arrive at an approximation,
a large quantity had been chromated by a strong feeling.
Moreover,
that idea sharing was lusated by a current proposal.
Anytime that the final outcomes had been very firmly unpathesced by not
unphilaible reasonable compromises,
no serious concerns might be being sacrated by internal establishments for
the basic objectives in back of a full utili
zation.
.P
As a consequence of the fact that a total effect might vacate an easily
situational beneficial assistance,
the apparent provisioning being effectuated by a continuing difference can
have protenesced a realization of an underly
ing purpose.
A different doubtful important outcome is cludated by a capkin.
A rationale had fortated attachments.
Moreover,
this assumption had nilcoresced the continuing study.
.P
.H 1 "An Easily Added Basic Assumption Being Joined Together With A Concept
Stage"
There is not an impediment which neoated a restriction,
therefore.
A couple utilizations could morsate a great similarity at considerable
difficulties,
but an input is primescing the concept activities,
and a growing importance was hemicisesced by that beneficial assistance.
In the same connection,
these extremenesses are rather usefully ultralucesced by directions.
.SG
.NS 0
C. R. Glitch
S. A. Hobble
R. S. Limn
M. Shayegan
.NE

Ed Bradford, Ph.D. Physics, retired from IBM
BTL 1976-1983

--
Advice is judged by results, not by intentions.
  Cicero

* Re: [TUHS] I made a tar tape
@ 2020-03-20 21:26 ` Mary Ann Horton
From: Mary Ann Horton @ 2020-03-20 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

I remember Ron! He was quite a character. And I remember festoon.

Was it he, or Bob Flandrena, that gave us the holiday poetical and
phonetical treat:

     Tweeze Denied Beef Workers Isthmus

(Say it out loud fast, with a pause in the middle of "Workers", to get it).

I think I have it on paper somewhere, but no soft copy.

     Mary Ann

* Re: [TUHS] I made a tar tape
@ 2020-03-20 22:04   ` Mike Markowski
From: Mike Markowski @ 2020-03-20 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

That took me a few tries - love it! :-)    - Mike Markowski

On 3/20/20 5:26 PM, Mary Ann Horton wrote:
> I remember Ron! He was quite a character. And I remember festoon.
>
> Was it he, or Bob Flandrena, that gave us the holiday poetical and
> phonetical treat:
>
>      Tweeze Denied Beef Workers Isthmus
>
> (Say it out loud fast, with a pause in the middle of "Workers", to get it).
>
> I think I have it on paper somewhere, but no soft copy.
>
>      Mary Ann

* Re: [TUHS] I made a tar tape
@ 2020-03-20 22:49     ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2020-03-20 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Markowski; +Cc: TUHS main list

I believe Festoon was covered in a Sci Am article by Dewdney. It
included Mark V Shaney, some computer-generated poetry, and other
horrors, including computer-generated Baudrillard.

-rob

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 9:05 AM Mike Markowski <mike.ab3ap@gmail.com> wrote:

> That took me a few tries - love it! :-)    - Mike Markowski
>
> On 3/20/20 5:26 PM, Mary Ann Horton wrote:
> > I remember Ron! He was quite a character. And I remember festoon.
> >
> > Was it he, or Bob Flandrena, that gave us the holiday poetical and
> > phonetical treat:
> >
> >      Tweeze Denied Beef Workers Isthmus
> >
> > (Say it out loud fast, with a pause in the middle of "Workers", to get it).
> >
> > I think I have it on paper somewhere, but no soft copy.
> >
> >      Mary Ann

* Re: [TUHS] I made a tar tape
@ 2020-03-21  0:16   ` John P. Linderman
From: John P. Linderman @ 2020-03-21  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mary Ann Horton; +Cc: The Unix Heritage Society

If you enjoyed that, try this,
<https://annex.exploratorium.edu/exhibits/ladle/> apparently done in 1940.

Ron and Bob were something else. I recall Bob "running for DMTS" by handing
out dimes in the Murray Hill cafeteria.

* Re: [TUHS] I made a tar tape
@ 2020-03-21  0:28     ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2020-03-21  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John P. Linderman; +Cc: The Unix Heritage Society

Anemometer cur chiffon.

See if that rings any bells.

-rob

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 11:17 AM John P. Linderman <jpl.jpl@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> .NE
>>
>> Ed Bradford, Ph.D. Physics, retired from IBM
>> BTL 1976-1983
>>
>> --
>> Advice is judged by results, not by intentions.

* Re: [TUHS] I made a tar tape
@ 2020-03-21  1:14       ` Ken Thompson via TUHS
From: Ken Thompson via TUHS @ 2020-03-21  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Pike; +Cc: The Unix Heritage Society

two hardin's sprint to mind.

1. phonetix
2. dont put your hands in tight places,
   remember you only have two.

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 5:29 PM Rob Pike <robpike@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> attachments. Moreover, this assumption had nilcoresced the continuing
> study. .P .H 1 "An Easily Added Basic Assumption Being Joined Together With
> A Concept Stage" There is not an impediment which neoated a restriction,
> therefore. A couple utilizations could morsate a great similarity at
> considerable difficulties, but an input is primescing the concept
> activities, and a growing importance was hemicisesced by that beneficial
> assistance. In the same connection, these extremenesses are rather usefully
> ultralucesced by directions. .SG .NS 0 C. R. Glitch S. A. Hobble R. S. Limn
> M. Shayegan
> >> .NE
> >>
> >> Ed Bradford, Ph.D. Physics, retired from IBM
> >> BTL 1976-1983
> >>
> >> --
> >> Advice is judged by results, not by intentions.

* Re: [TUHS] I made a tar tape
@ 2020-03-21  1:48         ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2020-03-21  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Thompson; +Cc: The Unix Heritage Society

#2 actually came from bob, not hardin, it was a safety poster that
went up at ITT in Phoenix:

KEEP YOUR HANDS OUT OF TIGHT PLACES.
REMEMBER YOU ONLY HAVE TWO.

-rob

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 12:14 PM Ken Thompson <ken@google.com> wrote:

> two hardin's sprint to mind.
>
> 1. phonetix
> 2. dont put your hands in tight places,
>    remember you only have two.
>

> On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 5:29 PM Rob Pike <robpike@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Anemometer cur chiffon.
>>
>> See if that rings any bells.
>>
>> -rob
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 11:17 AM John P. Linderman <jpl.jpl@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > If you enjoyed that, try this, apparently done in 1940.
>> >
>> > Ron and Bob were something else. I recall Bob "running for DMTS" by handing out dimes in the Murray Hill cafeteria.

* Re: [TUHS] I made a tar tape
@ 2020-03-21  4:03       ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2020-03-21  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sat, 21 Mar 2020, Rob Pike wrote:

> I believe Festoon was covered in a Sci Am article by Dewdney. It
> included Mark V Shaney, some computer-generated poetry, and other
> horrors, including computer-generated Baudrillard.

Ahhh...  Mark V Shaney...  I knew Bruce Ellis, and I wheedled the source
code out of him (with the proviso that I never use it on Usenet) in order
to use it on a victim on another medium (Amateur packet radio).

Skilfully forging his callsign (and the path), his colleagues thought that
he was drunk :-)

Source code now lost, dammit...

-- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] I made a tar tape
@ 2020-03-21 16:06         ` William Cheswick
From: William Cheswick @ 2020-03-21 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Ron made an insult generator.  You can get ten fresh samples at

	https://cheswick.com/insult

It has about 42 bits of entropy, generating a nice password that is probably safe-for-work, unless
you work in a very unusual place.   A lot of people use cuss words as passwords.

ches

* Re: [TUHS] I made a tar tape
@ 2020-03-21 20:46           ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2020-03-21 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sat, 21 Mar 2020, William Cheswick wrote:

> Ron made an insult generator.  You can get ten fresh samples at
>
> 	https://cheswick.com/insult

Neat!  I vaguely remember a similar one posted to Usenet ages ago; ah,
those were the days.

> It has about 42 bits of entropy, generating a nice password that is
> probably safe-for-work, unless you work in a very unusual place.  A lot
> of people use cuss words as passwords.

I read somewhere (Schneier?) that "shocking nonsense" makes for good
passphrases; easily remembered, and hard to guess.  And yes, I know about
that XKCD cartoon...

-- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] I made a tar tape
@ 2020-03-21 22:29             ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2020-03-21 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 2:47 PM Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Mar 2020, William Cheswick wrote:
>
> > Ron made an insult generator.  You can get ten fresh samples at
> >
> >       https://cheswick.com/insult
>
> Neat!  I vaguely remember a similar one posted to Usenet ages ago; ah,
> those were the days.
>
> > It has about 42 bits of entropy, generating a nice password that is
> > probably safe-for-work, unless you work in a very unusual place.  A lot
> > of people use cuss words as passwords.
>
> I read somewhere (Schneier?) that "shocking nonsense" makes for good
> passphrases; easily remembered, and hard to guess.  And yes, I know about
> that XKCD cartoon...

"play city carrot is a toy store in tokyo"

was my pass phrase more than a decade ago....  Not quite nonsense, though,
because the Japanese like to use English words for how they look or sound
rather than what they mean. Much like people here choose tattoos for how
they look, not quite understanding they just got "katchup queen gerbil"
emblazoned on their lower back...

Warner

* Re: [TUHS] I made a tar tape
@ 2020-03-21 23:01             ` Steve Nickolas
From: Steve Nickolas @ 2020-03-21 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sun, 22 Mar 2020, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Mar 2020, William Cheswick wrote:
>
>> Ron made an insult generator.  You can get ten fresh samples at
>>
>> 	https://cheswick.com/insult
>
> Neat!  I vaguely remember a similar one posted to Usenet ages ago; ah, those
> were the days.
>
>> It has about 42 bits of entropy, generating a nice password that is
>> probably safe-for-work, unless you work in a very unusual place.  A lot of
>> people use cuss words as passwords.
>
> I read somewhere (Schneier?) that "shocking nonsense" makes for good
> passphrases; easily remembered, and hard to guess.  And yes, I know about
> that XKCD cartoon...
>
> -- Dave

I've used non-English words in my passwords, as well as spoonerisms.

-uso.

* Re: [TUHS] I made a tar tape
@ 2020-03-22  8:25       ` Ed Bradford
From: Ed Bradford @ 2020-03-22  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Pike; +Cc: TUHS main list

For those interested, the source to festoon can be found here and I cannot
be blamed for any copyright infringement.

Y'all ought to read Ron's code. Relax with a bottle of Blantons nearby and
enjoy.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060821141209/http://www.tribug.org/pub/tuhs/Applications/Festoon/

--

@ 2020-03-22 21:30               ` Paul Winalski
From: Paul Winalski @ 2020-03-22 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Nickolas; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On 3/21/20, Steve Nickolas <usotsuki@buric.co> wrote:

> I've used non-English words in my passwords, as well as spoonerisms.

The disk encryption password for my laptop at work was the first line
from Jabberwocky with a one-word change and an inserted comma.

-Paul W.