The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] I made a tar tape
@ 2020-03-20 20:13 Ed Bradford
From: Ed Bradford @ 2020-03-20 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

When I left BTL in 1983, I made a tar tape. A number of years later I
translated the tape into a file. Only recently have I wandered through it.

I don't know how many people remember Ron Hardin in the Columbus BTL
location. He was one of the smartest guys I ever met. There are lot of Ron
Hardin stories. One of his creations (as far as I know he authored it) was
a program to create Memorandums For File -- technical memorandums. My tar
tape scooped up festoon. To this day it compiles and runs happily on
Windows 10. It was written in 1978 or thereabouts. Here is an example
output:

bin$ festoon.exe
.TL
No Worthynesses
.AU "C. C. Festoon" CCF Headquarters 1584734291
.AS
A restriction had been being amicated by a convenience at the inclusion.
.AE
.MT "MEMORANDUM FOR COAT LOCKER"
.hy 1
On this occasion,
no team responsibilities could have polyesced a renewed emphasis.
A friction had penated an activation.
At the present moment in time,
an undue number of good progresses being collected together with the
populations were being proportionately fideated by
the fact that there was a data stream which was transenniesced by an
issuance being joined together with these team re
sponsibilities,
because natural basises have been veriating a partitioning.
The supplementary work should be conclusively quinquepolyated by a well
defined interfacing.
A sophisticatedness by a schedule is operated by a nature in conflict with
a correspondence under some serious discussi
ons.
It is within the realm of possibility that the effectiveness had
vicfacesced a schedule,
but there was not a necessary background information which is being
testesced by a strong interest,
and a statistical accuracy was tempoesced by the preparation.
It should be noted that a joint partnership very repeatedly aidioated this
publication of a centralized organization.
Due to the fact that there is a simplification which simply enniesced a
process,
a new technology is fluxesced from monorogatities.
It is of the utmost importance that an insurance could be putated by an
assumption.
A major advance centered about a deficiency octocessates an important
outcome.
.P
An effectation would extramicroate to the situation.
A complete revision gravated a direction.
Inasmuch as there was not a potential usefulness that cedeates by the
timely delivery,
a consideration centered around a technique was monofortated by an
integration:
.BL
.LI
There is a not unclear meterdom which had risiesced an occasion.
.LE
.P
A clamstress of this enclosedness is cludescing the hemidormity.
.P
To arrive at an approximation,
a large quantity had been chromated by a strong feeling.
Moreover,
that idea sharing was lusated by a current proposal.
Anytime that the final outcomes had been very firmly unpathesced by not
unphilaible reasonable compromises,
no serious concerns might be being sacrated by internal establishments for
the basic objectives in back of a full utili
zation.
.P
As a consequence of the fact that a total effect might vacate an easily
situational beneficial assistance,
the apparent provisioning being effectuated by a continuing difference can
have protenesced a realization of an underly
ing purpose.
A different doubtful important outcome is cludated by a capkin.
A rationale had fortated attachments.
Moreover,
this assumption had nilcoresced the continuing study.
.P
.H 1 "An Easily Added Basic Assumption Being Joined Together With A Concept
Stage"
There is not an impediment which neoated a restriction,
therefore.
A couple utilizations could morsate a great similarity at considerable
difficulties,
but an input is primescing the concept activities,
and a growing importance was hemicisesced by that beneficial assistance.
In the same connection,
these extremenesses are rather usefully ultralucesced by directions.
.SG
.NS 0
C. R. Glitch
S. A. Hobble
R. S. Limn
M. Shayegan
.NE

Ed Bradford, Ph.D. Physics, retired from IBM
BTL 1976-1983

--
Advice is judged by results, not by intentions.
  Cicero