On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 3:51 PM Thomas Paulsen wrote: > >Like Clem, I prefer concise man pages and longer, separate documents for > those programs where it makes sense. I consider man pages to be quick > references. > reasonable. > I write all my quick references in plain nroff since many years. There are > gui editors, gui viewers, and lots of cgi search engines && web viewers > even with hyperlinks. Even under good ole emacs techinfo is redundant, as > 'woman' can do hyperlinks, which were the only advantage of techinfo in a > remote past, however time goes on. Today we have help2man, hence the lazy > ones can do man pages too. > > > 'The problem is that the ecosystem has been fragmented by people doing > their "documentation" in their preferred formats instead of in a common > (man) format. This makes the experience one of "is there any > documentation?" followed by "what's the incantation to get it?" When you're > looking for the documentation for pdf2svg, for example, and there is no man > page, how long does it take to figure out that there is no documentation at > all? ' > > that's true. In the early 90ths they forced us writing quick references > with .html. Big confusion. Soon later I found myself converting .html back > into nroff because that's the UNIX style. > I know some of us don't like to hear that, but with regards to the gnu > tool chain, Richard did a lot of good things, however the politics of > replacing man by techinfo definitely wasn't. > I think this showed the wisdom of deleting binaries from /usr/bin when there was no man page for them... Warner