On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 7:43 AM Clem Cole wrote: > > > On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 12:40 PM Warner Losh wrote: > >> This obviated the need to copy a filesystem to a new disk's swap space >> and then use that to really install the system. >> > > Thanks for the reminder. I don't remember if V7 on the PDP-11 used the > swap space (but I don't think so). That said, I fairly sure that by BSD 4.1 > the boot loader did, which I think is when that trick was first added to > boot phase. > Just checked the archives. V7 had a stand alone program to restore a filesystem image form the tape to the disk that you ran after running the stand alone program to partition and newfs the disk... I think you are right on your timeline. I installed a dozen Sun3 boxes from tape and hated mistyping the file number and having to start over... > Again, it was all about trying to get rid of the special /stand version of > things. Funny, history would move on and we come back to that idea with > busybox 🤔 > Well, busybox is special in many ways, so there's that in common with /stand, but it runs under a full otherwise standard kernel, not as some special mini-exec that provides just enough of the unix APIs to keep the standalone programs happy. Warner