On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 3:51 PM Dave Horsfall wrote: > On Mon, 6 Jan 2020, Brian Walden wrote: > > > csh(1) was wrtten around 1978 and yes # as a comment was only for > > scrtipts, think it was why would you need to comment interactively? > > Why would you *not* want to? You've just made "#" asymmetric in its > behaviour; in the meantime the parser just sees an unescaped "#" and > ignores everything after that, without regard to context. > > You might also be using "script" e.g. > > script > blah blah > # Now here I do something funky > *really* funky stuff > ^D > Or you might have cut and paste the commands from a script to test something, or to redo something by hand that failed for some reason. Warner > [...] > > > Also before you say wait! ALGOL uses # as comment and is older than > > Kernighan' ratfor(1). [...] > > Funny; I recall ALGOL using "comment ... ;" or was that ALGOLW (which I > loved using; I wish I still had my ALGOLW book)? > > -- Dave >