On Fri, Aug 12, 2022 at 10:06 AM Warner Losh wrote: > > > On Fri, Aug 12, 2022 at 5:42 AM Jonathan Gray wrote: > >> On Fri, Aug 12, 2022 at 05:15:52AM -0600, arnold@skeeve.com wrote: >> > Paul Ruizendaal via TUHS wrote: >> > >> > > I’m interested in the journey of SysV IPC. So far I have established >> > > that these originated in CBUnix, with a lot of thinking on how to >> optimize >> > > these around the time that Unix 3.0/4.0/5.0 happened. They did not >> appear >> > > in Unix 3.0 / SysIII, and from the Unix 4.0 documentation I gather >> that >> > > it was not included there either. >> > >> > I am not sure you can make that conclusion, as the 4.0 printed documents >> > did not include the programmer's manual; instead they gave out the >> > 3.0 manual and there was a list of changes somewhere in the other doc. >> > >> > Unfortunately, without actual 4.0 sources, it will always be a question. >> > >> > I have this VERY vague memory that I saw IPC in 4.0, but I could >> > very easily be wrong... It was over 40 years ago, after all. :-) >> >> "Release 4.0 was launched from this organization in March. It introduced >> new IPC mechanisms" >> >> from pg 39 of Pirzada's thesis >> >> https://spiral.imperial.ac.uk/bitstream/10044/1/7942/1/Shamim_Sharfuddin_Pirzada-1988-PhD-Thesis.pdf > > > But also "Release 4.2 was launched in February 1982 for both the 3B & the > DEC > machines. It contained improvements to the data communications and > networking > software and more mature IPC" though it goes on to say 4.2 was > provisional. 5.0 > did have more things from CBUNIX: init and getty. > > I've also found this: > > https://groups.google.com/g/net.unix/c/-H9x36DMOBQ/m/P_G_s9SJBrgJ > > "Eventually, UNIX/TS was augmented to have > many of the features present in CB-UNIX (this was done by Roger Faulkner > at Indian Hill, BTL. This, in turn, became the base for UNIX 4.0, which > was never released externally." > > This from a supervisor at Columbus... > Oh, see also the message from Guy Harris a few messages previous to the one that opens up with the above link (minor edits by me): " doug_gwyn>The UNIX System V IPC was already present in USG UNIX 4.1. doug_gwyn>(Not related to 4.1BSD.) For you real UNIX trivia freaks, the USG 4.0 IPC was different from the USG 4.1 IPC. The original message send/receive system calls sent to a process ID; they were changed to send to message queues, which had a 32-bit unique ID, instead (which makes more sense, as it permits you to transparently replace servers). " The note is extensive and goes into a lot of other areas related to IPC and lists names and references too. In fact the whole thread is a good candidate to be hoisted from google groups while we have the chance and placed into the TUHS archive. Is there a process for that? Warner Warner > > referred to in tuhs/Documentation/Emails/dmr_wkt >> >> "Other treasures: Shamim Pirzada did most of a PhD thesis on Unix >> as an exemplar of software evolution for Imperial College (London) >> that (in the part I have) contains a pretty good account of details >> of history up to about 1988." >> >