On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 10:07 AM Ron Natalie wrote: > I disagree. TRAP according to the processor handbook was intended to be > used for what UNIX calls system calls. EMT was the emulator trap used to > simulate other operating systems on the same hardware. Oddly, for some > reason, all the DEC OSes use EMT instructions for their system calls. > This came in handy when JHU ported BasicPlus from RSTS to UNIX. That > executable could run fine on UNIX because we caught the few EMT traps that > mattered to us and simulated them. The only thing we had to do other than > that was to add a "nostack()" system call that got rid of the normal > UNIX-maintained stack starting at the address space (RSTS executables like > many DEC OSs used a stack that started around 1000). > The various RT-11 emulators use variations on this theme as well, some inside the kernel, some as a signal handler (fast forward 40-odd years and I'm catching the SIGSEGV traps in executing 16-bit code to implement the unix system calls)... It's a very useful and elegant trick that's been oft-repeated. > Many of the UNIX signals come straight from PDP-11 traps: SIGFPE, SIGIOT, > SIGSEGV, SIGBUS, SIGILL, SIGEMT. and those traps invoked those signals. > Yes. They seemed to make perfect sense when I encountered them in Unix after growing up on RSTS/e and RT-11 before my first contact with Unix.... > FPE - floating point exception > ILL - illegal exception (either unknown opcode or CERTAIN of the > privileged instructions, others were ignored) > BUS - fatal unibus timeout trap. Usually an attempt to access a > memory/unibus address that doesn't respond, or to do word accesses on odd > boundaries. > SEGV - accessing memory not mapped to you > IOT - the IOT instruction > BPT - the BPT instruction > TRAP, EMT - these instructions > >