On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 5:33 PM Paul Ruizendaal wrote: > > Rich was kind enough to look through the Joyce papers to see if it > contained "CSRG Tech Report 4: Proposals for Unix on the VAX”. It did. > > As list regulars will know I’ve been looking for that paper for years as > it documents the early ideas for networking and IPC in what was to become > 4.2BSD. > > It is an intriguing paper that discusses a network API that is imo fairly > different from what ended up being in 4.1a and 4.2BSD. It confirms Kirk > McKusick’s recollection that the select statement was modelled after the > ADA select statement. It also confirms Clem Cole’s recollection that the > initial ideas for 4.2BSB were significantly influenced by the ideas of > Richard Rashid (Aleph/Accent/Mach). > > Besides IPC and networking, it also discusses file systems and a wide > array of potential improvements in various other areas. > Awesome! Is that something that will be scanned in so we can all see it? Warner