On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 1:11 PM, Andy Kosela wrote: > > > On Saturday, June 30, 2018, Warner Losh wrote: > >> Greetings, >> >> I'd like to thank everybody that sent me data for my unix kernel size >> stuff. There's two artifacts I've crated. One I think I've shared before, >> which is my spreadsheet: >> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13C77pmJFw4ZBmGJuNarB >> UvWBxBKWXG-jtvARxJDHiXs/edit?usp=sharing >> >> > It would be interesting to compare it to Linux throughout the history. I > can still compile a minimal latest Linux kernel that is around 2M. Not bad > if you ask me. > It's possible to build FreeBSD much smaller as well (some ARM ports can get that small)... But that's not the comparison I was going for since that often understates the effect of the SCSI/SATA stack you need these days, or the network stack, or other technology that's considered 'standard.' It's entirely due to ease of use and cheap memory. I didn't include a growth of the Linux kernel due to the less-prevalent use of GENERIC-type kernels there, and a lack of good data sources I could mine quickly for apples-to-apples comparisons over time. Warner