On Thu, Sep 8, 2022 at 4:16 PM Larry McVoy wrote: > On Thu, Sep 08, 2022 at 05:50:37PM -0400, Clem Cole wrote: > > > BSD is a different beast, as they were literally replacing the AT&T > source > > > code before their eyes, so there isn't much argument that can be made > for > > > 4.4BSD being a "clean-room" implementation of UNIX. > > > > It was not a clean-room as Arthur defined it. It was rewritten over > time, > > which replaced AT&T's implementation. Which is all that was ever > claimed. > > And it's a false claim. Go look at the Bell Labs bmap() and the BSD > bmap(), the last time I looked they were bit for bit identical. > Yea, this was part of the de minimis copying that was acknowledged... It was mostly rewritten with most of AT&T's code gone. It's 110 lines of code, out of ~18,000 lines of kernel code. And the structure in 4.4BSD is somewhat different with balloc() being completely different than the rest of V7's subr.c. > I looked there because I split bmap() into bmap_read() and bmap_write() > because the read path is trivial and the write path is quite a bit more > difficult (this was all for the work srk imagined, and I did, to get > rid of the rotational delays). So I was pretty familiar with that > code path and as of about 20 years ago, well past 4.4BSD, bmap() was > unchanged from either v7 or 32v. > But it likely didn't matter, since 32v likely lost its copyright protection due to AT&T distributing too many copies without the required copyright markings. At least that was the preliminary ruling that caused the suit to be settled... AT&T didn't want it finalized, though the cat was somewhat out of the bag at this point... > The weird thing is it isn't that hard to write something that would > walk the code and find other examples. Nobody seemed to care. > Yea, most of the rest of the code around it was rewritten, but not that. Warner