On Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 11:55 PM Lars Brinkhoff wrote: > Warner Losh wrote: > > So 60011 is OFS_MAGIC and 60012 is NFS_MAGIC. Both of these are > > variants on UFS, but really old. And given they are at different > > offsets, you'll likely need to reverse engineer the offsets used for > > the platform's dinode. > > So anyway, it seems my best bet would be getting an old "restore" and > hack it till it runs. > > Part of the problem is that there are hundreds of these images, so it > would be a lot of work to examine them individually in emulated systems. > A good first start to examine the content would be to just list the file > names. > For V7 tapes, you can run the V7 binaries using apout with very little effort. This is a user-level emulation of a pdp-11 with the system calls for v5, v6, v7 and some of the BSDs. It's in the tuhs archives under Distributions/Research/Dennis_v1/unix72/tools/apout. I used it to extract files from V7 automatically that I used in the 2.11 back-patching-to-the-original-tapes script I wrote. > > Without more specific data it's hard to know if there's an extant > > binary that can be run in emulation to read these tapes. > > The tapes are from MIT's "Tapes of Tech Square" collection. Likely > candidates include PDP-11 V7, 4.x BSD on VAX, and Sun workstations. I > suppose the latter would use the big endian format. > Very cool. I suspect if you want one tool for them all, you'll need to take restore and teach it to cope with multiple endians and word sizes... It's likely not a huge effort, but the restor code from V7 makes use of a lot of type-punning... > There are also many variations of the tar and cpio formats, but I'm on > firmer ground there. > Warner