On Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 10:53 AM Bakul Shah wrote: > On Aug 22, 2022, at 9:27 AM, Warner Losh wrote: > > > > FreeBSD deleted some compat code in the kernel some time ago, and it > turns > > out that restore used that to read old dump tapes, so we broke old dump > tapes. > > So you can't use FreeBSD's unmodified. > > May be run an older release that has this code? > That only works if the dinode structures line up exactly to whatever these tapes are from. The 16-bit ones likely need to use the V7 restore (maybe running in emulation in simh), the 32-bit ones might be able to use V32 or 4BSD running in emulation, if that's what the tapes are from. But the multi-endian suggests that maybe things are more complex than that. FreeBSD's restore from older releases might work, but only for the 32-bit stuff and only if we're lucky... Warner