On Tue, Jan 15, 2019, 9:48 PM Henry Bent > On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 at 23:08, George Michaelson wrote: > >> In my opinion, the popularity of a UNIX platform is tightly tied to >> the availability of the platform at university. >> > > That's a very good point. But going too far in that direction may have > been a problem too. My understanding is that Omron's Luna 88K line was > very closely tied to the education market. It ran a customized version of > Mach, so in some sense I suppose they were tied to CMU from the get-go, and > my understanding is that they courted the education market heavily. > Oberlin College was given, outright, a four processor 88K Luna. Today I'm > not sure you could find a running Luna if you wanted to. > https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=4501 Claims to be running OpenBSD as of a few months ago. There are also reports of NetBSD as well. There appear to be maybe 6 different machines listed here. Not sure this really disproves your point though. Warner >