The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To: Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com>
Cc: TUHS main list <tuhs@tuhs.org>
Subject: [TUHS] Re: vi in cooked mode?
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 16:28:23 -0600	[thread overview]

On Thu, Nov 3, 2022 at 3:35 PM Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 3, 2022 at 4:55 PM Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
>

>> There were a diversity of emacs clones for unix as well...
>>
> Absolutely...
>
> But the first in wide used in the UNIX world was Gosling EMACS which
> appeared outside of CMU soon after UCB dropped 4.1 in early 1980, probably
> the next was Zimmerman (*a.k.a.* CCA) EMACS, then GNU hacked Gosling's
> version (that strange trip has been discussed elsewhere and I'll not add it
> here).  Zimmer's version was 'truer' to the original MIT/PDP-10 version
> from ITS than Gosling but Steve had built it when he worked for CCA so it
> was licensed (which we had a Masscomp and made available to our
> customers).  To my knowledge Gosling's version never fit on any PDP-11 nor
> Gnu, I'm not sure if Steve ever got his to work on a split I/D [Noel might
> know].   I do know some of my MIT friends used to grouse about the
> differences between CMU EMACS and ITS EMACS. That said, there was also at
> least one microemacs which was originally for CPM and MSDOS IIRC, that got
> moved a number of the UNIX boxes which may be what you are referring.  I
> seem to remember that was released on netnews and was a lot smaller.  I
> never messed with it, because by then I had the address space of and I
> could run Gosling or Zimmerman.

IIRC, it was one of the microemacs from netnews (there were a few different
ones) that had been back-ported to BSD (or maybe the early ones just worked
there). It was funky, but it worked with the HP terminals that were
attached to the VAX and was somewhat less that the other, larger emacs in
terms of what it could do beyond just editing.

Warner