The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Quick video: what's the oldest BSD distro
@ 2020-08-26 19:27 Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2020-08-26 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww60o940kEk

You may be surprised :)

Warner

P.S. Hope this is relevant enough to share here. Also, if I botched
anything I've not yet mentioned in the comments, please let me know...

* Re: [TUHS] Quick video: what's the oldest BSD distro
@ 2020-08-26 20:17 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2020-08-26 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: tuhs

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 01:27:35PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
>    [1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww60o940kEk
>    You may be surprised :)
>    Warner
>    P.S. Hope this is relevant enough to share here. Also, if I botched
>    anything I've not yet mentioned in the comments, please let me know...

Really good Warner. Given that RetroBSD is based on 2.11BSD, you could even
say that 2.11BSD is still in use on current hardware.

Cheers, Warren

* Re: [TUHS] Quick video: what's the oldest BSD distro
@ 2020-08-27 17:42 ` Tony Finch
From: Tony Finch @ 2020-08-27 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: TUHS main list

Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww60o940kEk

A small query: I think you dated Mac OS X to 2000, which I guess refers to
the Public Beta [1] but there was a Mac OS X Server 1.0 release in 1999
[2] and developer preview releases in 1997 and 1998 when it was known by
its codename Rhapsody (apparently Mac OS X Server 1.0 still called itself
Rhapsody [3]). Rhapsody was clearly an intermediate stage between
NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP and Mac OS X, so I suppose it's too different to count
as a continuation, following your argument that 2.11BSD is too different
to 2.9/2.10BSD to count as a continuation...

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Public_Beta
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Server_1.0
[3] http://rhapsodyos.org/

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
Bailey, Fair Isle, Faeroes: Variable mainly northerly 3 to 5, occasionally 6

* Re: [TUHS] Quick video: what's the oldest BSD distro
@ 2020-08-28  0:17   ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2020-08-28  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Finch; +Cc: TUHS main list

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 11:42 AM Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at> wrote:

> Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
>
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww60o940kEk
>
> A small query: I think you dated Mac OS X to 2000, which I guess refers to
> the Public Beta [1] but there was a Mac OS X Server 1.0 release in 1999
> [2] and developer preview releases in 1997 and 1998 when it was known by
> its codename Rhapsody (apparently Mac OS X Server 1.0 still called itself
> Rhapsody [3]). Rhapsody was clearly an intermediate stage between
> NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP and Mac OS X, so I suppose it's too different to count
> as a continuation, following your argument that 2.11BSD is too different
> to 2.9/2.10BSD to count as a continuation...

Yea, that's what I thought. Either one could say that 2.9BSD was continued
to 2.10 and 2.11 by Seismo and related folks (which puts its release back
to 1983 or 1985 depending on how you count things) and also the NextStep /
OpenStep -> Rhapsody -> MacOS would count which puts it 1989 as the first
release. There was at least some level of discontinuity in each of the
transitions (BSD -> Seismo and NextStep -> MacOS) so I excluded them both...

In some ways there's a continuity between CSRG and FreeBSD (Kirk and
others) and NetBSD (others) as well, so how do you count that?  If you zoom
in too much, it becomes hard to make an unambiguous break because the code
pased from hand to hand so much with overlapping groups of people...

Warner

@ 2020-08-28 20:37     ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2020-08-28 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: TUHS main list