On Sun, Jun 16, 2024, 7:25 PM Larry McVoy wrote: > On Mon, Jun 17, 2024 at 11:01:40AM +1000, Alexis wrote: > > "Greg A. Woods" writes: > > > > >At Sun, 16 Jun 2024 15:48:15 +1000, Alexis > > >wrote: > > >Subject: [TUHS] Re: Version 256 of systemd boasts '42% less Unix > > >philosophy' The Register > > >> > > >>Here's an excerpt from something i wrote > > >>on the Gentoo forum back in April: > > >> > > >>> [[...]] the situation on > > >>> Linux was a mess. Many of the (usually > > >>> volunteers) who maintain packages for > > >>> Linux don't want to have to learn the > > >>> complexities of shell scripting and the > > >>> subtle issues that can arise > > > > > >That pretty much says it all about the state of the GNU/linux world > > >right there. > > > > > >In the "Unix world" everyone learns shell scripting, some better than > > >others of course, and some hate it at the same time too, but I would > > >say > > >from my experience it's a given. You either learn shell scripting or > > >you are "just a user" (even if you also write application code). > > > > i feel this comment is unfair. > > > > The specific thing i wrote was: > > > > >the _complexities_ of shell scripting and the _subtle issues_ that can > > >arise > > > > [emphasis added] > > > > The issue isn't about learning shell scripting _per se_. It's about the > > extent to which _volunteers_ have to go beyond the _basics_ of shell > > scripting to learn about the _complexities_ and _subtle issues_ involved > in > > using it to provide _robust_ service management. Including learning, for > > example, that certain functionality one takes for granted in a given > shell > > isn't actually POSIX, and can't be assumed to be present in the shell > one is > > working with (not to mention that POSIX-compatibility might need to be > > actively enabled, as in the case of e.g. ksh, via POSIXLY_CORRECT). > > This is sort of off topic but maybe relevant. > > When I was running my company, my engineers joked that if it were invented > after 1980 I wouldn't let them use it. Which wasn't true, we used mmap(). > > But the underlying sentiment sort of was true. Even though they were > all used to bash, I tried very hard to not use bash specific stuff. > And it paid off, in our hey day, we supported SCO, AIX, HPUX, SunOS, > Solaris, Tru64, Linux on every architecture from tin to IBM mainframes, > Windows, Macos on PPC and x86, etc. And probably a bunch of other > platforms I've forgotten. > > *Every* time they used some bash-ism, it bit us in the ass. I kept > telling them "our build environment is not our deployment environment". > We had a bunch of /bin/sh stuff that we shipped so we had to go for > the common denominator. > The fallout of the Unix Wars was that this denominator was kept too low for too long. Warner I did relax things to allow GNU Make, there were some features that they > really wanted and that is build environment, so, shrug. >