On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 3:59 PM Larry McVoy wrote: > A bunch of people stuck around and tried, they really did and I applaud > them for it but the damage was done. I was gone by the time ZFS came out > so I have no idea how that passed through the formal vetting process that > Sun had in place. When I was there, if I had proposed a file system that > wouldn't use the page cache, you'd have to copy from the buffer cache > into the page cache to get mmap to work, I would have been kicked out > of the room and probably kicked out of the kernel group. We had spent > SO FRIGGING MUCH TIME getting rid of the buffer cache, precisely because > trying to maintain coherency between the page cache (mmap) and the buffer > cache (read/write), it was clear that you wanted a unified model. > It's reason #1 why Netflix can't use ZFS: the double copy problem... Warner