On Sun, Nov 27, 2022, 9:11 AM Ron Natalie wrote: > > . But everyone knew what the J stood for. The 3B2 served as a doorstop. > > > Shades of the jerq terminal. The J prefix persiste in the code long > after the nickname was quashed. > > > Being in charge of the Rutgers computer center, we were gifted a lot of > ATT hardware. We had one 3B20 (now that was a pure piece of phone > equipment, you shut it down by turning a switch inside and holding the > button down until it twanged. Just like putting an old 303 modem into > loop back). We also got three 3B5's (noted for the one installed in the > New Brunswick computing room that got completely drenched when a pipe burst > and kept on running) and countless of the 3B2s. I chortled in that > unless you were logged in as root, you couldn't work the power switch. > Yanking the cord out of the wall was still and option. > When I worked for The Wollongong Group, we had a 3b2, 3b5 and 3b20 for all the networking products we had. The 3b20 was nice. The 3b5 wasn't terrible.... the 3b2 was the only machine I've seen that I could visibly see the characters appear one at a time over the telnet session for some, but not all, programs. Those programs, iirc, used stdio, but the stdio on the 3b2 didn't have buffering turned on... Warner >