On Thu, Dec 23, 2021, 8:54 AM Dr Iain Maoileoin wrote: > On 12/23/21 2:19 PM, Larry McVoy wrote: > > On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 01:05:55PM +0000, Michael Kj??rling wrote: > > On 22 Dec 2021 18:18 -0800, from lm@mcvoy.com (Larry McVoy): > > The CP/M machines bring back different memories, using that and BDS > C because an 11/780 with 4MB of ram and 40 users meant each user was > getting 1KB so it swapped and swapped and swapped. > > 4 MB RAM and 40 users works out to 100 KB of RAM per user for me. Even > accounting for a large at the time OS it should be several tens of > kilobytes per user on average for actual useful data. So, because > there's probably some detail here that means you're right and I'm > wrong, how do you arrive at the figure 1 KB of RAM per user in that > scenario? > > Probably boomer doing math wrong. > > I might get flamed for this comment, but is a number divided by a number > not arithmetic. I cant see any maths in there. > > In my support I point out that the "dc" manual page says > > dc is a reverse-polish desk calculator which supports unlimited precision arithmetic. > > > In Scotland - at least years ago - arithmetic was an examinable subject at > the lower grades (you also get a mathematics exam at the same grade). > > Arithmetic could not be taken past the basic level, mathematics could. > > Nowadays they have lumped arithmetic into maths (pronounced "maffs"). > > Do other countries have this change in language? > > Sorry for the intrusion. It is Christmas with me (or is it "happy holiday" > to be politically correct). > > You are right, I'm wrong. Though I > will say that 100K/student was _painful_. Not enough to run make/cc in > any reasonable time. About the only thing that worked was ^t (I think > that was it) that showed you some basic info about performance. > > I had forgotten about control-t - does anything modern still do that > FreeBSD does. It's my biggest annoyance with Linux that it doesn't. 100k for a process that likely needed 500k to 1MB would indeed be swapping its brains out. So while tha vax could do I/O 10 times faster than a Z80 of the era and run maybe 5 times faster, all that was lost when you started thrashing because you can't keep your working set in memory. Warner >