Thanks Clem. One minor clarification. Jordan and the patchkit work did predate NetBSD. However, the NetBSD project formed a little before the FreeBSD project that grew out of the patchkit days. Jordan didn't get that moving until NetBSD made rumblings... it was still a time that you heard a lot of what was going on by word of mouth, not so much by postings and email... The OpenBSD split was years later... and a complicated mix of personality conflicts and technical differences. But in many ways it was a smaller split since for a long time they were almost 100% compatible at the driver level (something you could never really say about net and free). Warner On Mon, Jan 20, 2020, 10:21 AM Clem Cole wrote: > > > On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 10:52 PM George Michaelson > wrote: > >> It does me no credit, that I initially reacted very badly to 386BSD, >> and the initial {Net,Free,Open} situation. >> > First, be careful. What we sometimes call 386BSD as a 'release' started > just as a port of NET2 to the 386 based 'commodity' hardware platform. The > history is that in the late 1970s/early 80s Bill Jolitz was working for Nat > Semi and ported BSD 4.1, to a multibus based NS16032 board that NS had > built, which was similar to the Stanford University Network (SUN) terminal > what had a 68000. He eventually built a 'luggable' using that and > updated to the port to 4.2++. He (and Lynn I believe) started a company > to sell that hardware/software solution and for whatever reason, it did not > really take off. > > At some point, he got his hands on a 386based PC (Compaq I think) and > started to move his port over to that system. A number of people helped > him (for instance I did a bunch of the AT/disk controller work as I had > access to the WD design documents for another consulting gig I had at the > time - Bill mentioned this in the articles BTW). > > Bill and Lynn's NS16032 and 386 code went back to the CSRG 'masters' - > although how and that happened was never completely clear to me. The SCCS > deltas tell at least part of the story. Bill managed to make a bootable > image that mostly installed on a PC/386 as the minicomputer versions did > from the formal release. The ftp area of ucbvax had all of these bootable > images available for download such as one for an HP 68K system and I think > the DEC VAX and PMAX, the CCG system and a few others IIRC. As I have said > in other messages if you were a UCB licensee you had the passwords to > look/download from that area. Bill placed that version in the same ftp > area. The 386 based port went viral at least with the UCB licensees. (In > fact, if Linus had known about it, theoretically he could have used it > also. His university was licensee, but as Larry McVoy likes to point, not > all the schools were as free with the IP, so I will not go down that > rathole). > > The bottom line is that many people (like me on a Wyse386) started with > Bill's original port; including the BSDi founders. > > When Jolitz and BSDi went separate ways, Jolitiz continued to update the > CSRG 386 based tarball (to an extent). One of the issues was there > originally was attempt to keep the different architectural versions of BSD > in sync ( to a point and NetBSD does yet exist). A number of people were > unhappy and the speed, depth *etc*. of the 386 version, most > notably Jordan Hubbard and FreeBSD was born. The two biggest issues Jordan > wanted to fix, was easier install and a bit wider support for more hardware > (again I sent Jordan the changes to FreeBSN 1x for the Wyse and a couple of > NCR boxes). The NetBSD project would birth from the original ideals of > CSRG and trying to keep everything the same but that's still in the future. > > > > >> >> I found all this "fragmentation" pretty hard to understand. -BSDI felt >> like it had occupied the space, and I couldn't entirely understand >> what was going on, or why any of it mattered. >> > See below.... > > > > >> What I think I missed (didn't understand) was how draining support was >> for Berkeley, and in the absence of a sugar daddy >> > Herein is the issue that many people on the sidelines missed. > > CRSG was a large project and funded a lot of work at UCB in EECS. It never > funded me (I was funded by Tektronix, HP, DEC *et al*), but that project > did a fund a number of students. However, at some point CSRG stopped being > a research project and started being a support project for DARPA. There > was also a good deal of resentment by some groups in EECS that were not > getting DARPA funding. > I'll not say if that was good or bad but I will say that it did cause > great deal consternation at UCB within the department and many people doing > more formal research were not happy. In the end, the EECS > Department mothers and fathers along with the Dean *et al*, decided to > stop/end the CSRG project. Many people who were directly or indirectly > working on BSD, like Mary Ann and myself, had graduated and had since > left. Bob Kridle had formed Mt. Xinu, Asa Romberger has formed Unisoft, Joy > had left/was leaving for Sun, *etc*. So the question remained what to > do with CSRG. As to what everyone would do, became every person for > her/himself and as we know some of the folks, along with a few folks from > the USENIX community formed BSDi. > > As was noted elsewhere, NetBSD would eventually be formed by volunteers to > keep the different ports alive (in fact much of the efforts was from folks > not at UCB), but that was still in the offing. Remember, while CSRG > itself was not a research project, a lot of people around the world were > using the BSD code base for their own research. The whole idea of NetBSD > was to create a uniform platform that people could compare things. So, the > question of how that was to come about or do any work on BSD if DARPA was > not paying the bills, was still an open one. But, the idea that would > eventually create FreeBSD, was supporting a pure commodity *solution for > day-to-day use, not as a research platform*. [I'll leave off the later > OpenBSD/NetBSD fork by Theo here as it has little to do with the question]. > > BSDi had a similar/same goal of producing something like SunOS/VMS *etc* but > supported on commodity hardware. That solution was to sell it and using > the revenues from the support contract, be able to pay people to do that > work. As I said and in some other messages, it is noted that Bill Jolitz > wanted something more FOSS. Truth is BSDi code was 'open source' but it > took a $1K license to *get the source from them*. > > In the end, the real problem was not the infighting between the different > BSD camps, but AT&T, who wanted the entire pie. Clearly, their executives > saw anything other than their complete control of the UNIX IP as a threat. > Hence the court case, the eventually AT&T/Sun relationship *etc*... > > Your lack of 'sugar daddy,' really comes back to that. There were few > people at the time that could pay the bills. Until then DARPA had been > it. I do not know if DARPA wanted out or if another group could have been > formed that could take over CSRG. I did have discussions with Rob over a > beer that at least the thought had crossed the BSDi folks mind, that once > started; they would apply for a DARPA contract. > > At the time had blow up, I was a consultant and I personally was > considering what I was going to do next and if they had had a real future, > the talks with Rob might have gotten more serious. My wife wanted me to > stop being independent if we were to start a family (I would join Locus > instead). > > BTW: I was in an interesting position as I was friends with all of the > different sides in the war/original fight. Like Jolitz, I wanted to see > what we now call a 'FOSS' release of BSD. But like Rob, I knew it was > going to take some revenue stream to make it happen/continue the support. > In the end, the AT&T legal mess blew it all up. BSDi ended up failing > and Jordan's work stayed around. > > BTW: what pays for Linux development these days by number of 'committers > salary' is Intel (#1), IBM (#2), then a load of other firms including the > different distros. But for *any* platform to be successful and actually > continue to be used in the market, someone has to pay the salaries of some > set of professional programmers to do the work. > > That said when AT&T injoined BSDi and UCB a lot of people (myself > included) started to hack on Linux. But just think if AT&T had actually > won the case and courts decided UNIX was allowed to be a trade secret, then > Linux and all of the UNIX 'clones' would have been in violation. > > No matter what flavor of UNIX you like, we are all in debt to UCB and BSDi > for settling the IP argument. The court was clear, the >>ideas<< behind > UNIX (*a.k.a.* the intellectual property) came from Ken, Dennis and > friends at AT&T and *they did own it.* But because of the 1956 consent > decree that published the ideas and the moment the ideas were published, we > all can now >>use<< them. The provenance of the source code does not > relate to the provenance of the idea, so* the source code itself does not > define what UNIX is or is not. * > > I bring this all up in hopes to try to close this rat hole of Linux, *vs*. > *BSD. Like editors, we all have our own favorites. That's cool, we don't > want one thing to be forced down our throat. Having a choice is what is > good. And what I value, Larry or Jon may not necessarily like. Most of > us if not all on this list probably want something that approximates Ken > and Dennis's original ideas not what IBM, DEC, CDC were trying to make us > use in the old days or what Microsoft calls a system today. > > The discussion of how we got there and what people valued at the time is > useful so we can try to remember the history and learn from it; but getting > into right/wrong, good/bad, or you could have had this is a tad tiresome; > IMO. >