On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 7:20 AM Clem Cole wrote: > > > On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 4:05 AM Lars Brinkhoff wrote: > >> Clem Cole wrote: >> > The 'second' C compiler was a PDP-10 and Honeywell (36-bit) target >> > Alan Synder did for his MIT Thesis. It was originally targeted to ITS >> > for the PDP-10, but it ran on Tops-20 also. My >>memory<< is he used >> > a 7-bit Character, ala SAIL, with 5 chars stored in a word with a bit >> > leftover. >> >> On ITS it only ever stored characters as full 36-bit words! So sizeof >> char == 1 == sizeof int. This is allowed per the C standard. (Maybe it >> was updated somewhere else, I dunno.) >> > > Ah - that makes sense. I never programmed the Honeywell in anything but > Dartmouth BASIC (mostly) and any early FORTRAN (very little) and the whole > idea of storage size was somewhat oblivious to me at the point as I was a > youngster when I did that. Any idea did the Honeywell treat chars as > 36-bit entities also? Steve, maybe you remember? > > The Honeywell 6000 machines ran GCOS; the system standard was six six-bit characters per word. The Honeywell 6100 machines ran Multics; the system standard was four nine-bit characters per word. For Multics C, sizeof (*) != sizeof (int) and NULL != 0, so a lot of "portable" C code wasn't. -- Charles