Clem doesn't mention CP-67/CMS, which IBM kept trying to kill in favor of CMS. From Melinda Varian's amazing history of VM, I gleaned these factoids: CP-67 - 8 sites by May '68 Feb of 68 - IBM decommits from TSS Apr 69 - IBM rescinds decommit of TSS CP-67 - 44 sites by 1970, ~10 internal to IBM May 71 - TSS finally decommitted So TSS was a rocky road, while CP&VM were simple and just worked. On Sat, Dec 17, 2022 at 9:13 AM Clem Cole wrote: > Given the number of ex-MTS (Bill Joy and Ted Kowalski, to name two) and > TSS hackers that were also later to be UNIX hackers after their original > introduction to system programming as undergrads. I will keep this reply > in TUHS, although it could be argued that it belongs in COFF. > > Note good sources for even more of the background of the history politics > at both IBM & GE can be found in Haigh and Ceruzzi's book: "A New History > of Modern Computing > " - > which I have previously mentioned as it is a beautiful read. > > On Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 5:27 PM Douglas McIlroy < > douglas.mcilroy@dartmouth.edu> wrote: > >> IBM revealed Gerrit Blaauw's skunk-works project, the 360/67, >> but by then the die had been cast. Michigan bought one and built a >> nice time-sharing system that was running well before Multics. >> > All true, but a few details are glossed over, and thus, this could be > misinterpreted - so I'm going to add those as one of the people. > > TSS and the /67 was IBM's answer to Multics, as Doug mentions. Note that the > /67 could run as a model /65, which as I understand it, most of the ones > IBM sold did. > > At the time, IBM offered the /67 to Universities at a substantial discount > (I believe even less than the /65). Thus, several schools bought them with > Michigan, CMU, Cornell, and Princeton that I am aware of; but I suspect > there were others. > > TSS was late, and the first releases could have been more stable. > Cornell and Princeton chose to run their systems as /65 using the original > IBM OS. CMU and Michigan both received copies of TSS with their systems. > Michigan would do a substantial rewrite, which was different enough that > became the new system MTS. CMU did a great deal of bug fixing, which went > back to IBM, and they chose to run TSS. [I believe that CMU runs OS/360 by > data and TSS at night until they felt they could trust it to not crash]. > Nominally, TSS and MTS should share programs, and with some work, both > could import source programs from OS/360 [My first paid programming job was > helping to rewrite York/APL from OS/360 to run on TSS]. So the compilers > and many tools for all three were common. > > MTS and TSS used the same file system structure, or it was close enough > that tools were shared. I don't know if OS/360 could read TSS disk packs - > I would have suspected, although the common media of the day was 1/2" mag > tape. > > This leads to a UNIX legacy that ... Ted's fsck(8) - which purists know > as a different name in the first version - was modeled after the disk > scavenger program from TSS and MTS. icheck/ncheck et al. seem pretty > primitive if you had used to see the other as a system programmer first. > Also, a big reason why all the errors were originally in uppercase was the > IBM program had done it. In many ways, neither Ted nor I knew any better > at the time. > > Clem > > > >