ANSI accredits US standards committees and delegates, both to US and International Meetings. ANSI can vote to accept a standard. While I don't know the issue behind POSIX, it's entirely possible that ANSI accredited IEEE to standardize things. They have done this to many various groups for standards within their wheelhouse. Sometimes this has worked well, sometimes it has worked to the interest of some particular entity, speaking as someone who has spent one to many days hanging out in standards meetings as a "technical expert". On Wed, Jun 26, 2024 at 11:35 AM Marc Rochkind wrote: > I think historically ANSI did languages. > > But, I don't know specifically why IEEE became the standards body for > POSIX. I did participate for a while in the IEEE standards process (not > POSIX, but something else), and I knew it as a large, very active, well > managed organization, always eager to take on new things (such as the thing > that I was engaged in). So maybe that was one reason. > > Maybe a greater reason is that the part of IEEE standards that did > software was chaired by a person from DEC (forgot his name). I'm sure DEC > had a strong interest in a UNIX-based standard, if only to make sure that > it didn't go completely wild and negate DEC's huge head start in selling > machines to run UNIX. > > Marc > > On Wed, Jun 26, 2024 at 12:22 PM segaloco via TUHS wrote: > >> Good morning, I was wondering if anyone has the scoop on the rationale >> behind the selection of standards bodies for the publication of UNIX and >> UNIX-adjacent standards. C was published via the ANSI route as X3.159, >> whereas POSIX was instead published by the IEEE route as 1003.1. Was there >> every any consideration of C through IEEE or POSIX through ANSI instead? >> Is there an appreciable difference suggested by the difference in >> publishers? In any case, both saw subsequent adoption by ISO/IEC, so the >> track to an international standard seems to lead to the same organizations. >> >> - Matt G. >> > > > -- > *My new email address is mrochkind@gmail.com * > -- James D. (jj) Johnston Chief Scientist, Immersion Networks