Well done. Has the hardware evolved? I presume so, but I do remember one legacy machine from the early 1980's at BTL (icarus, an 11/23), that when it shut down forever in 1996, was a microvax, with its bus connected to a standard PDP11 bus, that connected to a Q-bus, and the original discs were still on line. It's uptime was never more than 350+ days, though, because of once a year UPS testing. In its last incarnation, it did nothing but mail routing, and that barely. I don't think anything changed on it in the last 10 years, not even the system. On Mon, Feb 19, 2024 at 1:15 PM Clem Cole wrote: > > > On Mon, Feb 19, 2024 at 4:02 PM Warner Losh wrote: > >> >> >> On Mon, Feb 19, 2024 at 1:58 PM Rich Salz wrote: >> >>> I think this makes minnie one of the longest running web services >>>> still in existence :-) >>>> >>> >>> Congrats. In a ship of Theseus sense.:) >>> >> >> *We all sail in the Unix ship of Theseus..*. Every system today had code >> from Unix directly, or from another ship that was built of the builts of >> one that was split between a couple of groups. Yes, even Linux: lots of >> networking userland came from BSD, for example, and while lots have been >> rewritten, that's kinda the point of the ship of Theseus... :) >> > +1 > My observation is that Linux is just the current (and most > successful) implementation of ideas that Doug, Ken, Rudd, Dennis, *et al.* > started and others have contributed to over the years. And like the > thought experiment described, there is no reason why the ship can not be > changed. It still sails the same way to the same places. > > > ᐧ > -- James D. (jj) Johnston Chief Scientist, Immersion Networks