The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: "Peter Weinberger (温博格) via TUHS" <tuhs@tuhs.org>
To: Douglas McIlroy <douglas.mcilroy@dartmouth.edu>
Cc: TUHS main list <tuhs@tuhs.org>
Subject: [TUHS] Re: On Bloat and the Idea of Small Specialized Tools
Date: Sat, 18 May 2024 14:31:41 -0400	[thread overview]

There is a common problem in our field. When something (a command, a
language, a library, etc) has a flaw, we say to ourselves, "This is
not good. If we remove this flaw things will be better."  as if it's
an obvious truth.

Sometimes it is true, but it's frequently questionable, and all too
often it's just wrong. We have no commonly accepted way of balancing
complexity and function; usually complexity wins. When AI takes my job
it will be because it's better at dealing with the mindless complexity
of enormous APIs (and command-line flags).