The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Etymology of dsw(1)
@ 2014-09-12 20:05 Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2014-09-12 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Speaking of things etymological, I've heard two versions of that for
dsw(1).

Delete from Switch Register (delete file whose i-num is in CSR)

Delete Sh*t Work (same, but expressed a bit more robustly)

-- Dave

* [TUHS] Etymology of dsw(1)
@ 2014-09-12 20:11 ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2014-09-12 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Horsfall scripsit:

> Delete from Switch Register (delete file whose i-num is in CSR)

There's no doubt that this is right, but
<http://dvlabs.tippingpoint.com/blog/2008/03/18/a-bit-of-history> claims
that the switch register was set to the number of files to skip over
before dumping core.  If you resumed the core dump, the next file would
be deleted.  This allowed deleting files whose names could not be typed.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Pour moi, les villes du Silmarillion ont plus de realite que Babylone.
                --Christopher Tolkien, as interviewed by Le Monde

* [TUHS] Etymology of dsw(1)
@ 2014-09-12 20:18   ` Mantas Mikulėnas
From: Mantas Mikulėnas @ 2014-09-12 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 11:11 PM, John Cowan <cowan at mercury.ccil.org> wrote:
> Dave Horsfall scripsit:
>
>> Delete from Switch Register (delete file whose i-num is in CSR)
>
> There's no doubt that this is right, but
> <http://dvlabs.tippingpoint.com/blog/2008/03/18/a-bit-of-history> claims
> that the switch register was set to the number of files to skip over
> before dumping core.  If you resumed the core dump, the next file would
> be deleted.  This allowed deleting files whose names could not be typed.

This reminds me of a similar discussion thirty-three years ago:

http://article.olduse.net/125 at Auiucdcs.UUCP
http://article.olduse.net/19 at Aresearch.UUCP
http://article.olduse.net/20 at Aresearch.UUCP

...which seems to confirm the "nth file" version.

(Also, hi everyone. First post here. Possibly the only, though.)

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>

* [TUHS] Etymology of dsw(1)
@ 2014-09-12 20:40 ` Mary Ann Horton
From: Mary Ann Horton @ 2014-09-12 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I heard both versions of this as well.  Or rather, I heard the second,
and was surprised to see the first in the manual.

@ 2014-09-12 22:15   ` Carl Lowenstein
From: Carl Lowenstein @ 2014-09-12 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

There are those who believe that DSW originated from the Russian "do
svidaniya".
You could Google it and decide for yourself.

    carl

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Mary Ann Horton <mah at mhorton.net> wrote:

> I heard both versions of this as well.  Or rather, I heard the second, and
> was surprised to see the first in the manual.
>
> Quoting Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org>:
>
>  Speaking of things etymological, I've heard two versions of that for
>> dsw(1).
>>
>> Delete from Switch Register (delete file whose i-num is in CSR)
>>
>> Delete Sh*t Work (same, but expressed a bit more robustly)

    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenstein at ucsd.edu
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Etymology of dsw(1)
@ 2014-09-13  3:05     ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2014-09-13  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014, Mantas Mikul?nas wrote:

> (Also, hi everyone. First post here. Possibly the only, though.)

Welcome!  I hope that you're not leaving the list because of the sudden
volume; it's normally quiet, but we are a bunch of old farts who will
sometimes get too much mint in our juleps, and we are all too happy to
pass on what we know (mostly because we've been there, and have seen the
present as well).

Please don't leave, if you are...

-- Dave