Steve Jenkin suggests: "Developers of Initial Unix arguably were 10x-100x more productive than IBM OS/360..." Indeed, this is part of accepted UNIX lore. However, to me, "productivity" in this context is a measure of how much time it takes to implement a specified objective. UNIX did not have a specified objective. From "The UNIX Time Sharing System," (Ritchie & Thompson): "Perhaps paradoxically, the success of UNIX is largely due to the fact that it was not designed to meet any predefined objectives." So, does this productivity advantage really mean anything? It's comparing a research project to an industrial development. The UNIX development methodology would seem to be this: Get a very small number of top people together with a common vision, ideally fewer than three, and see what happens. However many mistakes were made on the OS/360 project (very completely documented by Brooks), the need for an OS for the emerging 360 series would probably not have been met by the "see what happens" approach. Marc On Wed, Jul 3, 2024 at 12:27 AM Al Kossow wrote: > On 7/2/24 9:51 PM, sjenkin@canb.auug.org.au wrote: > > > I’ve never seen a large Open Source project succeed when attempting to > use modern “Project Management” techniques. > > > > Managing an open source project is like herding a pack of alpha male > tomcats with their own agendas that you can't fire. > > > -- *My new email address is mrochkind@gmail.com *