Just because it didn't have TCP/IP doesn't mean it couldn't send mail to other sites. UUCP was used for batched file transfer over serial lines, such as dialup modems. There was not generally _real-time interactive_ network stuff done with other sites, but there was plenty of store-and-forward goodness. Which is probably what Chapter 5 is about. Adam On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 1:51 PM Josh Good wrote: > Hello UNIX veterans. > > So I stumbled online upon a copy of the book "SCO Xenix System V Operating > System User's Guide", from 1988, advertised as having 395 pages, and the > asked for price was 2.50 EUROs. I bought it, expecting --well, I don't know > exactly what I was expecting, something quaint and interesting, I suppose. > > I've received the book, and it is not a treasure trobe, to say the least. I > am in fact surprised at how sparse was UNIX System V of this age, almost > spartan. > > The chapter titles are: > > 1. Introduction > 2. vi: A Text Editor > 3. ed > 4. mail > 5. Communicating with Other Sites > 6. bc: A Calculator > 7. The Shell > 8. The C-Shell > 9. Using the Visual Shell > > And that's it. The communications part only deals the Micnet (a serial-port > based local networking scheme), and UUCP. No mention at all of the words > "Internet" or "TCP/IP", no even in the Index. > > Granted, this Xenix version is derived from System V Release 2, and I think > it was for the Intel 286 (not yet ported to the i386), but hey it's 1988 > already and the Internet is supposed to be thriving on UNIX in the Pacific > Coast, or so the lore says. I see now that it probably was only in the > Berkely family that the Internet was going on... > > In truth, I fail to see what was the appeal of such a system, for mere > users, when in the same PC you could run rich DOS-based applications like > WordPerfect, Lotus 1-2-3, Ventura Publisher and all the PC software from > those years. > > I mean, mail without Internet is pretty useless, althouhg I understand it > could be useful for inter-company communications. And yes, it had vi and > the > Bourne Shell. But still, it feels very very limited, this Xenix version, > from a user's point of view. > > I'm probably spoiled from Linux having repositories full of packaged free > software, where the user just has to worry about "which is the best of": > email program, text editor, browser, image manipulation program, video > player, etc. I understand this now pretty well, how spoiled are we these > days. > > -- > Josh Good > >