The "s" editor is written by Webb Miller and appears in his book "A Software Tools Sampler." There was a discussion about it...here, or COFF, or cctalk, or the PiDP-11 mailing list....a few months ago. Someone had already done the lifting to make it classic v7-compatible, but I don't remember who. Its interface is very close to vi, but it is quite compact and works well on v7. I have a fork of it that has the needed tweaks for PDP-11 v7 up at https://github.com/athornton/s . Since I find ed thoroughly unpleasant to use, having a screen editor was a must for me to use v7 for any length of time, and s fills that role rather nicely. Adam On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 3:50 PM John Cowan wrote: > > On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 4:54 PM Adam Thornton wrote: > > >> I've been trying to set up UUCP on my V7 system and its raspberry Pi >> host. This plus the "s" editor (already working) >> > > What is this "s" editor? The v7 man pages say nothing about it, and of > course Dr. Google is equally unhelpful. > > > John Cowan http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan cowan@ccil.org > We call nothing profound that is not wittily expressed. > --Northrop Frye (improved) > >